For those engaged in foreign trade-related work, containers carry the dreams and future of too many foreign trade people. In this article, let CIMC Yangzhou Base, as a container manufacturer, introduce the definition, classification, and precautions of containers, and expand on them. In order to clarify the definition of each concept as much as possible, let’s first look at the definition of the container.
We are used to using container to refer to container in daily life. In fact, the professional name of container should be Intermodal container.The Chinese definition is a group tool that can load packaged or unpackaged goods for transportation, and is convenient for loading and unloading with mechanical equipment.
Classification of containers
90% of the goods in the world are transported by ships, so the classification here mainly discusses the containers transported by ships, including the following 11 most common container types.
1. Dry cargo container
Dry cargo containers are the most common and basic type of container. They are usually made of steel or aluminum and feature strong construction and airtight features.
This type of container is suitable for loading dry, non-perishable, non-liquid goods such as clothing, electronic products, machinery parts, food, paper, etc.
Dry cargo containers usually come in standard sizes, such as 20 feet (6.1 meters) and 40 feet (12.2 meters), for quick transfers between ships, rail and trucks.
2. Reefer container:
The Reefer container is equipped with a refrigeration unit that can control the temperature of the cargo, thus keeping the cargo within the specified temperature range. This type of container is widely used to transport goods that need to be kept at a low temperature or at a specific temperature, such as frozen food, vegetables, fruits, flowers, medicines, etc. Shipping container plays a key role in international cold chain logistics, ensuring the quality and safety of goods.
3. Open top container:
Open top containers do not have a fixed roof at the top, allowing cargo to be loaded that exceeds the height of a standard container. This kind of container is suitable for loading large machinery and equipment, wood, steel, large parts and other goods that cannot be accommodated in standard containers.
When loading and unloading, the goods can be hoisted in and out directly from the top.
4. side open container:
The side loading container has no fixed side walls, only front and rear fixed walls, which is convenient for loading extra wide or extra long cargo. This kind of container is suitable for loading irregularly shaped goods such as large machinery, pipelines, building materials, and ship parts. When loading and unloading, the goods can enter and exit from the side or the top.
5. Flat container:
Flatbed containers are similar to open sided containers, but without a bottom, only front and rear fixed walls. This kind of container is suitable for loading super-long and super-wide goods, such as long steel pipes, large machines, engineering equipment, etc. When loading and unloading, the goods can enter and exit from the side or the top, and can also be transported on a flatbed truck supported by the bottom.
6. Tank container:
Tank containers are containers specially used to transport liquids or gases. Tank containers are widely used to transport chemicals, petroleum products, food liquids, etc. This container is airtight and leak-proof, ensuring the safe transportation of liquid or gas cargo.
7. Frame container:
A frame container is similar to a flat container, but without a floor and fixed walls. This type of container is suitable for large cargo that does not require bottom support, such as large machines, construction materials, large pipelines, etc. Goods can be in and out from the side or top for easy loading and unloading.
8. Self-unloading container:
The self-unloading container is equipped with a dumping mechanism for easy unloading. This kind of container is suitable for loading bulk goods, such as coal, ore, soil, etc. When unloading, the dumping mechanism dumps the cargo onto the ground or into other loading facilities.
9. Dangerous goods container:
Dangerous goods containers are containers specially used to transport dangerous goods. They have special design and safety requirements to ensure the safety of dangerous goods during transportation.
This kind of container is equipped with special safety measures, such as leakage protection, fire and explosion protection, etc., to ensure that dangerous goods will not pose a threat to personnel and the environment.
The above are common classifications of containers. Each type of container has its unique design and use, which provides an important guarantee for the safe and efficient transportation of goods. With the continuous development of international trade and logistics industry, container transportation plays an increasingly important role in the global circulation of goods.
Precautions during container transportation
Container transportation is an efficient and standardized way of transporting goods. However, the following items still need to be paid attention to during transportation to ensure the safety and smooth transportation of goods:
1. Goods Packaging: Ensure that goods are properly packaged to prevent damage or contamination during transportation. Packaging materials should be durable and meet international standards.
2. Cargo fixing: The goods should be fixed firmly in the container to avoid displacement and damage during transportation.
3. Container inspection: Before loading, the container must be inspected to ensure its structural integrity, good sealing, and compliance with transportation requirements.
4. Cargo marking and recording: mark the cargo information on the container, including name, quantity, weight, etc., and make corresponding records to track the location and status of the cargo.
5. Selection of container transportation company: choose a reliable container transportation company to ensure that it has good transportation records and service quality.
6. Temperature control (applicable to refrigerated containers): For refrigerated goods, ensure that the temperature inside the refrigerated container is controlled within the required transport temperature range.
7. Marine insurance: consider purchasing marine insurance to protect the loss of goods in case of accidents during transportation.
8. Safety facilities: Make sure that there are necessary safety facilities around the container, such as reliable lifting equipment and safety fences, to ensure the safety of the cargo during loading and unloading.
Current status of the container market
The container market has developed rapidly in the past few decades and has become an important infrastructure for global cargo trade and logistics transportation. The following are some key current conditions of the container market:
1. Promotion of globalization: The growth of global trade and the trend of globalization have promoted the expansion of the container market. Container transportation makes cross-border trade more efficient and convenient.
2. Market competition: With the growth of the container transportation market, the market competition is becoming increasingly fierce. Many shipping companies and logistics companies have entered this field, offering different services and freight rates.
3. The rise of the Asian market: The Asian region has become the main growth engine of the container market, especially China. China’s manufacturing and export operations have contributed to the growth in demand for containers.
4. Increased demand for refrigerated containers: As the global demand for fresh food and pharmaceuticals continues to grow, the Reefer container transportation market is also expanding.
5. Environmental protection and sustainability: With the increasing awareness of environmental protection, the container shipping industry has begun to adopt more environmentally friendly measures, such as using ships with low carbon emissions and promoting the development of green logistics.
6. Technological innovation: The container shipping industry is also benefiting from technological innovations, including Internet of Things technology, blockchain technology, etc., which help to improve transportation efficiency and visibility.
Overall, the container market continues to grow globally, providing more efficient and secure cargo transportation solutions for international trade and logistics. With the continuous advancement of technology and the evolution of the global economy, the container shipping market will continue to face new challenges and opportunities.
CIMC Yangzhou Base is a leading manufacturer of refrigerated containers and various other standard and special logistics equipment. With years of experience in the industry, it focuses on the design, production and distribution of high-quality innovative products that meet the specific needs of customers.
If you need high-quality and innovative logistics equipment, including refrigerated containers, cold chain equipment, containerized equipment integration, modular buildings, etc., CIMC Yangzhou Base is your best choice. Welcome inquiries from customers all over the world and look forward to the opportunity to cooperate with you.